Thursday, July 9, 2009

Summer Wanderlust


After a long winter cooped up with no where to go, when the good weather comes it is exhilarating like you have been reborn. I like to call it the ' creative hiatus' because I am too distracted to focus on things like writing. I miss it, but with long days where the sun is out until 9PM, long walks and sitting on the patio and breathing in fresh air is so appealing. 
One of my favorite things about summer is the farmer's market. Every Thursday I take a trip to my local outdoor market to enjoy all the sights and sensory experiences offered. A farmer's market isn't just vegetables - this is a place for the community and intrepenurial of heart to try their hand at selling unique goods. Some of the variety includes homemade cheeses, salsas, candy and even organic soaps and fragrances. Although the same vendors are there every week, it is comforting to visit the favorite stalls for home baked bread and freshly popped kettle corn. 
A definite change of culture has come about with a return to smaller venues be it restaurants or grocery stores like Trader Joes  and community co-ops. Most of all an appreciation of fresh, small batched food stuffs. To me, this is such a change for the better. Food becomes culture and community and not just mass produced items in warehouse sized grocery stores. To me, every Thursday is a highlight to my week. I know I will share the experience with a close friend and get some fresh air while shopping at my leisure for wholesome, carefully produced products.
To Farmer's Markets and A simpler way of life which is a sort of Joie de vivre.

No comments:

Post a Comment