Sunday, January 11, 2009

Etsy.Com brings Vintage to You

At the end of 2008, I stepped out and did something that I hadn't ever done before - take something I love to do and try to make money at it. Selling Vintage. After moving from a one bedroom tiny apartment to a four bedroom house last April, it was time to find things to fill up all the rooms. The house I live in is in the Arts and Crafts style (early 1920's) and has lots of charm, so in order to enhance its already beautiful qualities, I wanted to fill the house with vintage and antique items.

It started with garage sales and thrift stores and then moved on to Estate sales. Before you know it, a full addiction had been born. Within less than a year, I had started collecting a lot and it was getting to be an expensive habit. Believe it or not, my empty rooms were filling up pretty fast too.

My mom actually was the one to introduce me to Etsy and how many hours she was spending online looking at Etsians' stores. She was also buying a lot. Hmm... there must be a lot of people like my mom out there who kill time with online shopping, so Viola, the idea was born.

Etsy isn't really about supporting myself or thinking I ever can, but rather about being in a community of artists and lovers of beautiful objects that mean something. What is so incredible is that the idea of supporting small businesses is really on the rise everywhere. It is about appreciating art for art's sake and not just mass marketed "things" that have no meaning. It is about dictating what we think is beautiful vs. the Fashion and Trend Tycoons. It is about supporting eco-friendly efforts to reduce our carbon footprint. It is about a lot of things and it is truly wonderful to be a part of an actual succesful venture that is making a difference on the global community.

Pop in and enjoy all the creativity and fun that Etsy offers. You can be unique too!

Below, I have linked a few fellow vintage sellers that are awesome and worthy of a peek~

Thanks for reading,

Lisa
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=15036653
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=19534866
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=19516300
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=18914356

No comments:

Post a Comment