Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Life According to Beaker


As the New Year has arrived and the infamous holiday fallout begins, I turn to Beaker, the wise dachshund for example. Although the displays of cookies and candies have been replaced by diet food and exercise equipment and resolutions are being thrown around like last year's good intentions, stepping back, I  refuse to join the throngs. 

Beaker, faithful little low-t0-the-ground black dog summons enough energy to tear one mad lap around the living room when I arrive at home, then an exuberant sprint to the favorite "spot" in the backyard. After that, it is reclining on whatever piece of furniture he has followed me to and with a tantalizing rawhide in reach, nap after nap is indulged in. Why it isn't one continuous nap is due the fact that as any faithful beast, he must summon up enough strength to follow me into the next room if I go to get a drink or to the bathroom. This is accompanied by long, deep, jaw fully extended yawns and full body stretches. 

In short, this is how I want to pattern my life. Energy is overrated. What do we have to prove? Doesn't life require enough of us that when one reaches the end of the grueling work-a-day week that it is just best to kick back with a figurative rawhide in reach and put your feet up...?grrrrrt!

No comments:

Post a Comment